Thursday, January 31, 2013

SEA-ME-WE 3

Submarine communications cable cutout from ICPC
I had a large misconception that was cleared up today. I always assumed that the majority of data for international communication was done via satellites. This was very wrong. Come to find out, over 95% of all international data transmissions use submarine communication cables. These are physical cables running along the seafloor. The largest of which is SEA-ME-WE3 coming in at 24,000 miles in length. ISCP has a few great (and slow loading) maps of the major cables running around the globe. For a brief history and current technology of submarine cables, take a look at this PDF, I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

2 comments:

  1. Give me a good wired connection any day. We ran CAT-5 at the house for a reason. You remember that.

    I never realized submarine cables had been around that long, sending telegraphs back in 1850. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember running the cat5. We had everything planned out except how to deal with getting the cable past the spiders. Luckily, tyler did not fear the giant spiders as much as we did :)

      Delete