Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Amazon Web Services (AWS)

I knew of Amazon Web Services (AWS) because of Netflix, but I was unaware of how many tools/companies actually utilize the service. As I dug deeper into their HPC services, I became very excited at how easy it was to setup and run computations on their infrastructure. Here is a youtube video they released showing how simple you can obtain and setup servers via amazon to run a parallel namd computation: http://www.youtube.com/embed/YfCgK1bmCjw As a system administrator, I really loved this video. I did not check pricing yet, but at scale I image it has to be cheaper than what we currently do at the academic level (or will be soon). I imagine that over time small computational research groups will start giving all their HPC business needs to companies like amazon considering how easy everything is to maintain. If any group currently uses this service for computational chemistry/biology, please let me know. In the least bit, I do like AWS and think amazon will be an amazing long term stock play because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment